Mount Pleasant is one of the most diverse communities in the city. The area - stretching from Cambie to Clark Drive and from Great Northern Way and 2nd, to 16th and Kingsway - is an eclectic mix of new and old homes, industry, educational facilities, and artist live/work studios.
Did You Know?
Mount Pleasant was home to an unusual bicycle-racing oval surfaced with yellow cedar that was constructed for the British Empire Games in 1954. It was built in the huge ravine created by China Creek where it crossed Broadway, and was torn down for the construction of Vancouver Community College\'s King Edward Campus.
Robson Park, at 15th Avenue and Kingsway, is named in honour of B.C.'s 9th Premier, John Robson.
Brewery Creek used to run into False Creek just north of 1st Avenue, and False Creek used to run all the way to Clark Drive.
Hops can still be found growing near the sites of neighbourhood's old breweries.
Mount Pleasant is named after the Irish birthplace of the wife of H.V. Edmonds. Edmonds, clerk of the municipal council in New Westminster, was the original owner of much of Mount Pleasant.
Mount Pleasant was the birthplace of one of the city\'s most colourful mayors, Gerry McGeer, who made sure the new city hall was built there in 1936.
Olympic sprinter Percy Williams hailed from the southeast corner of 12th Avenue and Columbia Street in Mount Pleasant. During the 1928 Olympic Games, Williams took home gold medals in the 100-metre and 200-metre dashes.